An Adult Sponsor may be a teacher, parent, professor, and/or other professional scientist in whose facilities the student is working.
This individual must have a solid background in science and should have close contact with the student during the course of the project.
The Adult Sponsor is responsible for working with the student to evaluate any possible risks involved in order to ensure the health and safety
of the student conducting the research and the humans and/or animals involved in the study.
The Adult Sponsor must review the student’s
Student Checklist (1A) and
Research Plan/Project Summary
to insure that: a) experimentation is within local, state, and Federal laws and Intel ISEF rules;
b) forms are completed by other required adults; and
c) criteria for the Qualified Scientist adhere to those set forth below.
The adult sponsor, in collaboration with the student, is responsible to fill out the "Checklist for Adult Sponsor" (ISEF Form 1).
You may reference our Forms page and our Rules page for additional information.
For rules questions, please contact email@example.com.
Please include the student’s name, grade in school, and if possible, the student’s complete research plan.
There are 2 different registration and Scientific Review Committee (SRC) options available for projects. The standard ISEF form paper SRC process used previous years is still available.
The electronic version (EZ SRC) is an option available for projects
that do not require prior approval. For details, see the menu item
Forms and Rules - Electronic SRC and Registration
The important items for the adult sponsor using the electronic EZ SRC option are:
- Either the student, teacher, or adult sponsor can enter the "Checklist for Adult Sponsor" (ISEF Form 1) electronically online.
- When a student has completed the registration process to the point that adult sponsor participation is required, an email will be sent to the adult sponsor.
- The adult sponsor must log in to electronically sign that form for each of their student researchers (only once for a team).
- If the adult sponsor does not have an account on this system, a link with an invite code is sent to simplify the adult sponsor registration process.
- The adult sponsor is encouraged to create the account before student registration begins, but that is not a requirement.
Questions? Contact us at
Phone support is also available:
Timara Underbakke 763-577-1400 (hours vary but you can leave a message).